Self-isolation support payment

From Monday, 28 September 2020, you are required by law to self-isolate if you are told to do so by NHS Test and Trace.

The Government has introduced a £500 support payment to help people on low incomes who have to self-isolate. The scheme will run until 31 January 2021 but is being kept under review by the Government. We are responsible for making the payments. Please read all of the information on this page before applying.

Do I qualify for this scheme?

To qualify for the payment, you will need to meet all of the criteria below:

  • you have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace on or after 28 September, 2020
  • you are employed or self-employed
  • you cannot work from home and will lose money as a result
  • you are claiming at least one of the following benefits: Universal Credit, Working Tax Credits, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Pension Credit or Housing Benefit

Who cannot apply for a payment?

You cannot apply for this scheme if:

  • You do not have a valid notification from NHS Test and Trace
  • You have been told to self-isolate before the 28 September, 2020. This applies even if your period of self-isolation overlaps this date
  • You are self-isolating after returning from abroad (unless you have tested positive for Covid-19 and been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace)
  • You can work from home while self-isolating
  • You are not claiming one of the benefits listed. You may qualify for help from the local discretionary self-isolation support scheme.

What proof do I need to provide?

To prove you are eligible for the scheme, you will need to fill in the online application form on this page and provide the following information:

  • a notification from NHS Test and Trace asking you to self-isolate (this will include a Unique ID number)
  • a bank statement
  • proof of employment, or, if you are self-employed, evidence of self-assessment returns, trading income and proof that your business delivers services which cannot be undertaken without social contact

Local discretionary self-isolation support scheme

If you meet all the other criteria for the self-isolation support payment, but you are not claiming one of the benefits listed and self-isolating will cause you severe financial hardship, then you may still qualify for help from the local discretionary self-isolation support scheme.

If you believe this applies to you, please fill in the application form on this page as normal, but when you get to question 16 about claiming benefits, click ‘none of these’. Carry on and complete and submit the form. We will then assess your circumstances and contact you with our decision.

Can other people I am living with make a claim?

If there are other people living in your household, then they can make their own application to the scheme, as long as they meet the eligibility criteria.

Can I claim on someone else’s behalf?

You can apply on someone else’s behalf, but the £500 must be paid into the bank account in the name of the person you are applying on behalf of. For example, if you are applying on behalf of a parent, the money must be paid into your parent’s bank account.

I have been asked to self-isolate more than once. Can I claim again?

If you are told to self-isolate more than once, you will be able to apply for the payment again, as long as you still meet the eligibility criteria and your periods of self-isolation do not overlap.

Can I claim if I have been furloughed?

You can claim the payment if you have been furloughed, as long as you meet all the other qualifying criteria.

How long do I have to claim?

You can make a claim up to 14 days after your self-isolation period ends, as long as it started on or after 28 September 2020.

Apply for a self-isolation support payment

Self-isolation support payment application

If you are unable to complete this form online, or need help completing it, then please call 01684 862413.


Read the  pdfself-isolation support payment privacy notice (107 KB)  to find out how we will use your personal data to process your application.

Other financial support

If you are on a low income but do not qualify for a self-isolation support payment, or the local discretionary scheme, then you may be able to apply for Statutory Sick Pay, Universal Credit or another benefit.

Financial support if you cannot work because of Covid-19

Other help while you are self-isolating

If you need help while you are self-isolating, such as deliveries of food or medicine, then please fill in the Worcestershire Here 2 Help I need help form.